Anthem is an operating company of parent company, Wellpoint, Inc. WellPoint, Inc. was formed when WellPoint Health Networks Inc. and Anthem, Inc. merged in 2004 to become the nation’s largest health benefits company.
Through its nationwide networks, the company delivers a number of leading health benefit solutions through a broad portfolio of integrated health care plans and related services, along with a wide range of specialty products such as life and disability insurance benefits, pharmacy benefit management, dental, vision, behavioral health benefit services, as well as long term care insurance and flexible spending accounts.
Headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, WellPoint is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association serving members in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Key dates in the formation of Wellpoint, Inc.
- 1993 - Anthem merges with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kentucky. This was the first cross-state merger of two strong Blue plans.
- 1995 - Anthem merges with Community Mutual, a Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan in Ohio.
- 1996 - WellPoint acquires the Group Life and Health Subsidiary of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company.
- 1997 - Anthem merges with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Connecticut.
- 1999 - Anthem acquires Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Hampshire and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Colorado and Nevada.
- 2000 - Anthem acquires Blue Cross Blue Shield of Maine.
- 2001 - WellPoint acquires Cerulean Companies Inc., the parent company of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia.
- 2002 - Anthem acquires Trigon Healthcare of Virginia, a Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan in Virginia.
- 2002 - WellPoint acquires RightCHOICE, the parent company of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Missouri and HealthLink.
- 2002 - WellPoint acquires MethodistCare, an HMO in Texas.
- 2003 - WellPoint acquires Golden West Dental and Vision in Camarillo, California.
- 2003 - WellPoint acquires Cobalt Corp. and its family of companies, including Blue Cross and Blue Shield United of Wisconsin.
- 2004 - Anthem, Inc. and WellPoint Health Networks Inc. merge to become WellPoint, Inc.
- 2005 - WellPoint, Inc. acquires Alexandria, Va.-based Lumenos, the pioneer and market leader in consumer-driven health plans.
- 2005 - WellPoint, Inc. and WellChoice, Inc., merge, making New York the 14th state in which WellPoint is a Blue Cross Blue Shield licensee.
Shop for health insurance coverage at HealthcareShopper.com. We offer thousands of health plans underwritten by more than 100 of the nation’s health insurance companies. Compare health plans side by side, get health insurance quotes, apply online and find affordable health insurance today.